Vegetables and Fruits: Benefits for For Kids & Keto
A guest post by Adam Reeve
You are probably aware that you can improve your health and immune system a lot by eating “the rainbows”. The reason behind it is the high vitamins and minerals present in fruits and vegetables.
Combining the perfect vegetables and fruits in the diet is very important to get enough nutrients in the body, but it might prove to be a challenge.
The keto diet is a diet that contains low carbs and high fats that can further be given a caloric breakdown of 5% carbs, 20% proteins, and 75% fats.
Fresh fruits and vegetables generally have low calories and fats and can thus be classified as the best fiber supplement for keto.
Fruits and vegetables high in protein are good for people following a vegetarian keto diet. However, it is important to be aware that several fruits usually have a high content of carbohydrates, and thus, they should be avoided.
Benefits of Fruits and Vegetables
There are so many benefits to consuming fruits and vegetables. It could be said that there is no disadvantage to consuming them.
They are good for people of every age group and have a high content of vitamins. They also reduce obesity and help in maintaining a healthy lifestyle, lowering your blood pressure and cholesterol.
Fruits and Vegetables for Kids
Kids are usually not fans of fruits and vegetables and are always ready with their innocent excuses not to eat them. This is the time when the parents need to be strict and make them eat fruits and vegetables because it is necessary to get all the important nutrients in their bodies.
- One way to encourage kids to eat fruit is by making tasty foods and not letting them realize what they are eating by adding more flavors.
- Another way is by growing fruits and vegetables in your backyard and letting the kids help them grow. This will make the kids intrigued, and they will be excited to eat what they have grown in their backyards. This will also ensure that the kids will eat the fruits and vegetables in season.
Fruits and Vegetables on a Keto Diet
It is not easy to select fruits and vegetables on a keto diet because many of them cannot be consumed due to their high carbohydrate content in them.
It’s not that you have limited options for them while on a keto diet, but fruits and vegetables without carbs are difficult to get. However, there are several of them with a low amount of carbs.
Some of the fruits that are best to be consumed while on a keto diet are:
- Avocados: One of the best things that you can choose to eat while following a keto diet, or for that matter, any diet, is avocado. It provides a great amount of vitamin K, vitamin C, folate, and potassium.
- Raspberries: Among the several berries, one of the healthiest is the raspberry. They contain antioxidants that reduce the risks of infection as well as diseases. They also have anti-inflammatory properties that protect you from cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. They also help with weight loss.
- Strawberries: They are high in vitamins but also low in carbs, which makes them perfect for consuming on a keto diet. They are also loaded with vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals.
- Tomatoes: Although it is mistaken as a vegetable, in reality, tomato is a fruit. Tomatoes are great in salads and other dishes and contain antioxidants that include lycopene, beta-carotene, and naringenin.
Some of the vegetables that are the best while on a keto diet are:
- Arugula: It is considered to be one of the foods that are dense in micronutrients. The veggie that has a peppery taste contains more phytochemicals than all the other green leafy vegetables. It is also high in vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, potassium, calcium as well as folate.
- Spinach: Another green leafy vegetable that is low in carbs is spinach. Containing fiber, vitamin A, vitamin K, magnesium, folate, and iron, spinach also helps in boosting immunity. It can be eaten in different ways, like raw in salads or used in recipes, sautéed with garlic and olive oil, and blended in smoothies.
- Broccoli: This is very good for immune health and is a nutrient-dense veggie. It is filled with nutrients like vitamins, zinc, beta-carotene, and potassium. It also has an antioxidant called glutathione that helps in reducing the levels of oxidative stress.
- Bell Peppers: They are quite rich in vitamin C along with antioxidants and also have low-carb content. They come in various colors, such as red, yellow, green, and orange. They taste delicious raw as well as cooked.